If you are interested in adopting, you will need to follow these steps:
- You must email to schedule an appointment to meet and ride the horse that you are interested in adopting. We encourage adopters to take their time, as the interaction is an opportunity to observe the compatibility of both horse and rider. Please be certain you are committed to your appointment time, and are seriously interested in the horse you wish to meet. We are staffed by a very small volunteer base, all of which also work full-time and have families to maintain!
- Please go over our barn rules to ensure you are prepared for your appointment.
- If the adopter and the horse are compatible, an Adoption Application must be completed and returned to Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue. Applications will not be accepted if the adopter has not been evaluated with the horse, or if the prospective adopter was not found suitable for the horse.
- Once the Adoption Application has been received, Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue will contact the references provided and may schedule a visit to the facility where the horse will be kept. It is acceptable for an adopted horse to be boarded, providing the facilities and care are adequate.
- A copy of the Adoption Agreement will be given to the Adoptive family to review. The terms of Adoption are explored in detail in this Agreement.
- The Board of Directors will meet to determine the home most suitable for the needs of each individual horse and rider. We regret that we can not reserve a horse for visitation, and all applications for adoption will be considered on a first come, first serve basis.
- Upon a final decision, the Adoption Agreement must be signed by both parties, and the Adoption Fee must be paid in full. Adoption Fees are non-refundable and facilitate the rescue and rehabilitation of future horses from slaughter. Adoption fees will not be returned, even in the event the horse is returned to Gentle Giants for re-adoption.
Next: Available Horses